Powered by Blogger.

Followers

interior designer taryn leibowitz

Sunday, March 28, 2010








I always find it interesting to observe how good quality work stands on its own feet - no matter your age, income or background. Take interior designers Taryn Leibowitz (pictured, above) and her business partner Tamie McLachlan who have the interior design practice Leibowitz and McLachlan. They have stormed onto the Australian interior design scene - their first home project was featured in Inside Out magazine - even though they're both quite young. But the spaces they create are sophisticated and mature. Recently I met them both and they're obviously passionate about their work. Meet Taryn.

Which five words best describe you? Romantic, dreamer, no such thing as NO, passionate and my boyfriend says bossy.
What was your first job and what path have you taken since? At 21 work experience for Thomas Hamel which opened my eyes to the world of decorating. I continued to explore what genre I enjoyed most by working at a retail design + hospitality firm and whilst at both of those places my mind would naturally drift off to decorating residential spaces. By the age of 25 my dream became a reality and Leibowitz and Mclachlan was born.
What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt along the way? Stick to what you know and what you're good at; creativity will flourish and good things will come. Where there is a will there is a way!
What’s your proudest career achievement? Starting my business from nothing with my partner Tamie and watching it grow has been my greatest achievement. But other highlights along the way included our first job being published in Inside Out in our first year of business with other articles to follow... One in particular was in 2009 one of our largest projects was published on the cover and in one of our favourite international magazines; US Interiors and also featured in an Australian magazine Inside Out.
What’s been your best decision? To work in an industry I dream about.
Who inspires you? People with a strong sense of style and self no matter what that may be. Music gets me in the zone... a good dose of Hotel Costes always gets my creative juices flowing. Artisans; just recently on a trip through Morocco I found myself spending hours in the local workshops - crafts from all around the globe intrigue and inspire me.
What are you passionate about? I'm obsessed with the hand made. The hand crafted. The colour white. The Mediterranean. Natural fibres. Raw, distressed + pre-loved timbers. Muslin. Dried flowers. Fluoro. Crushed and raw textures. The pared back simplicity of Dutch and Scandinavian design. Africa... it's my home away from home.
Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet? The editor of Marie Claire Maison; I would love to follow her around for a day - I am obsessed with the spaces she features!
What dream do you still want to fulfil? In general balance; a life of leisure with loads of creative pleasure. Creatively I would die to design and decorate a boutique hotel by the water!
What are you reading? Too many interior magazines!


images courtesy of leibowitz and mclachlan

Blog Archive

 

Most Reading