Powered by Blogger.

Followers

lox+savvy's lisa loxley

Monday, April 12, 2010








I've been watching - and admiring - the fantastical journey that Lisa Loxley from Lox+Savvy is taking with her life and career. The first time we met was at Magnolia Square a few years ago. She was setting up her first stall. Since then I tracked her down to feature in Real Living magazine and we've met several more times (usally with me prying away Little C's hands from her bright and colourful paper goods), including at the recent Life In Style show. Each time I see Lisa I notice how much more confident she's become within herself and her designs. In a couple of weeks she will move into a design studio and she'll soon be heading to New York to show off her paper goods. I can't wait to hear the stories when she returns.

Which five words best describe you? Self-driven, creative, open-minded, thoughtful and quirky.
What was your first job and what path have you taken since then? My first real job was in a shoe store working full time, whilst doing an inspiring graphic design/illustration course at Billy Blue School that was most rewarding. I then realised I had to go back to my graphic arts apprenticeship to enable me get the best out of a hands-on, technical and design experience there was out there. Bringing together my apprenticeship, and the generations in my family that are involved in the printing and paper industry is the professional make-up of who I am today. When it’s in the blood you can’t escape it! At the completion of my apprenticeship, I opened up my own graphic design business, which I still run today and thoroughly enjoy. I am fortunate to say I’m one of those people who love what they do and you can’t really ask for more than that. This has led me to the evolving Lox+Savvy. It’s cliché, but it’s a life-long dream!
What’s your proudest achievement? Finally putting in motion my ideas & scribbles, and bringing Lox+Savvy to life.
What’s been your best decision? In terms of my career, doing the ‘hard-yards’ of completing a four-year apprenticeship in graphic arts, which has allowed me to be the wholehearted, hard-working person I am today.
Who inspires you? A various mix of people in my life play a different role in how they inspire me – morally, spiritually, holistically and artistically. Any person driven by a dream, continues to inspire me.
What are you passionate about? Chocolate, shoe sales, vintage shopping, buttons, recycling, cocktails with my best friend and, needless to say, my work. I’m also highly passionate about the way in which paper plays an important role within our environment.
What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt? Mum often reminds me on life’s merry-go-round, “Always be true to yourself and the rest will just fall into place”. This is something I always come back to in thought and reflect on during life’s challenges.
Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet? Audrey Hepburn without a doubt – her unique spirit, grace and unforgettable style, and not to mention the important legacy she left behind with UNICEF. She is truly a remarkable woman.
What dream do you still want to fulfil? Travelling the world and introducing Lox+Savvy to it!
What are you reading? Catalog: The Illustrated History of Mail-Order Shopping by Robin Cherry – it has classic illustrations, timeless fashion, the colours & designs are classic and fabulous, and a great source of inspiration. The Sartorialist by Scott Schuman – which is more of a picture book, yet so intriguing & fashion of course is so very inspiring. In particular Scott’s ‘forward’ in the book gives an insight as to why he does what he does and how he provokes the capturing of each moment. My fave is on page 151, the ‘Barbieri’ men. Not many of these lovely timeless shops exist anymore! And in between time, I’m also a huge magazine junkie!


images courtesy of lox+savvy

Blog Archive

 

Most Reading