Powered by Blogger.

Followers

photographer francesco solfrini

Thursday, April 8, 2010








I will always love photography - the way that you can get lost in an image. It's always a pleasure to look through people's portfolio's and see how they interpret the world. Francesco Solfrini is an Italian photographer who now lives in Sydney. He's self-taught, but no doubt picked up a few tips from his father who won several awards for his photography in Italy.

Which five words best describe you? Passionate, loud, instinctive, warm, determined.
What was your first job and what path have you taken since? I was in the advertising department of Toyota Italia. After almost 3 years I came to the conclusion that the corporate environment was not for me (something I had always suspected!). Having a stable job and an everyday life with people who love procedures and boxes to tick, did not bring me the fulfilment I was searching for. After a short stint in a “more creative environment” (an advertising agency in Rome) I decided to face my fears and follow my dreams. I packed my bags and moved to Sydney, to improve my English and work in the Anglo Saxon culture that has moulded advertising into the shape it holds worldwide. I also finally began to follow a lifelong dream of being a photographer. I am now working in a small advertising agency in Sydney and running my photography business in my spare time.
What’s your proudest career achievement? Working in communication in a foreign country after being told by my peers that it would be too hard to make it.
What’s been your best decision? To believe in myself, leave my country and change my life.
Who inspires you? Anyone who challenges the status quo, anyone who fights peacefully for their goals (from Gandhi to Bob Geldof).
What are you passionate about? It can be travelling, art, a new experience or an inspiring person... Everything that brings growth, a new point of view and positive energy into my life.
What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt? Always believe in yourself and try. The worst thing that can happen is you’ll do it wrong. So what? You can always try again next time.
Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet? St. Francis of Assisi. I am not very religious but St. Francis before being a monk and a saint was a revolutionary man who questioned his life (he was born from a very wealthy family and he renounced to everything and went to live with the leprosies), the incredibly powerful church of that time and his society. He is renowned as a very peaceful person but he was often torn inside and fought with himself to find his way.
What dream do you still want to fulfil? Living the rest of my life enjoying the art created by myself and the people around me.
What are you reading? Terra Nullius, a book about the colonization of Australia and the roots of the existing gap with the Aboriginal community.


photos courtesy of francesco solfrini

Blog Archive

 

Most Reading