Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Paint Series - Other Favorites and What About Stained/Natural Wood vs. Enamel?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011


THIS POST IS FROM ROOM REMIX - THE BLOG .

So how are you liking the paint series? I really appreciate these designers sharing their tips and favorites with us, don't you? You do? Awesome! I knew you would. :-) So let's get to today's questions...

Erika Ward - BluLabel Bungalow
_______________________________________________________________

QUESTIONS:
1. Do you have a favorite “statement” paint color, and what are some of your other go-to colors that aren’t necessarily neutral?

2. Any tips for choosing paint if your trim is natural/stained wood (oak, cherry, maple)versus enamel?

_______________________________________________________________

{ Janell - Isabella and Max Rooms... }

Sherwin Williams Griffin, a rich brown with dark gray undertones.
Some of my other go-to colors are SW Comfort Gray, SW Watery
and SW Amazing Gray



My all time favorite paint color that looks wonderful with the tones of all these woods is Devine Blade by Devine Paint, carried at Miller Paint. It is a fresh green that looks pale in some light, while more saturated in others. This color brings out the best of these wood tones.



Devine Blade
Isabella and Max Rooms
_______________________________________________________________

{ Lauren - Pure Style Home... }

I don't really have a favorite statement paint color but I do love Behr Witch Hazel which is a dark moody gray-green. I also love Fresh Aire Choice Midwest Springs which is a fresh and happy aqua.

Fresh Aire Choice Midwest Springs
Pure Style Home

For rooms with stained trim, I tend to choose more natural-looking and softer colors so that the trim can be appreciated vs. overtaken. (For example, a soft cream or pale blue could work really nicely with natural oak, but a bright purple or blue would overpower it and have no relationship with it.) Raffia cream works really nicely with stained woodwork because it has a soft warm glow that picks up the tones in the wood nicely.

Cabinets - Behr Witch Hazel
Pure Style Home
_______________________________________________________________

{ Maria Killam - Colour Me Happy... }

Right now I'm loving the cleaner raspberrys for a change like Benjamin Moore 2003-30 Berry Wine, but you need to pair it with white to pull it off. I have an entire list of go-to colours that you can get by subscribing to my free monthly newsletter, here: http://www.mariakillam.com/.



Oak and Maple read pretty neutral and go with most colours, I would stay away from pink beige however as well as colours that are too light and too close to the wood colour. With Cherry I would stay away from Reds or Oranges. It's not like you can never use those colours but you'd have to be careful which ones you selected.
_______________________________________________________________

{ Sherry Hart - Design Indulgence... }

Here are some of my favorite paint colors
Brown: BM HC 70 van buren brown
Pale grayish white: BM HC 84 Elmira White
Blue: BM HC 144 Palladian Blue
Slate Blue: HC 164 Purtian Gray



If you need the perfect color that goes with anything but is dark then I love BM Texas Leather AC 3 and BM Kingsport Gray HC 86. Those are my favorite go to colors when there is a lot of color in the room already and I need something to soothe the eye. They are dark but any color looks great with them. I especially love doors and bannisters painted in those colors instead of black.
If you have maple or any light wood tone cabinets or furniture then the above colors are perfect.
_______________________________________________________________

Benjamin Moore Texas Leather
Design Indulgence

{ Erika - BluLabel Bungalow...}

Wedgewood Gray by Benjamin Moore is one of my favorite go to colors.
I also love Durango by Benjamin Moore.



Generally stained wood coordinates well with most paint colors.
_______________________________________________________________

Benjamin Moore Wedgewood Gray
Pottery Barn via The Lettered Cottage
_______________________________________________________________

{ Emily - Emily A. Clark... }

If you’ve seen my home, you know I love navy (it goes great with so many other colors). I used “Stunning” by Benjamin Moore in our family room. It’s really rich without being too blue.



I don’t really think there are any rules for mixing and matching. While some people may not think of it as a “traditional” color, I think grays are always an easy blend for so many different wood tones, regardless of how many hints of red (or lack thereof) your stained wood furniture may have in it.
_______________________________________________________________

Don't forget to link up and share your paint projects at the linky party this coming Friday, January 28th I'll keep the link up through the weekend, and I'll share my favorites next week!



RELATED POSTS:
Paint Series: How To Choose Paint Colors
Paint Series: Neutral Paint Colors

Blog Archive

 

Most Reading