Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Random Thoughts on Organizing

Saturday, January 8, 2011


THIS POST IS FROM ROOM REMIX - THE BLOG .

Do you go into organizing mode in January?

I don't go into a major frenzy or anything, but I have been doing some here and there - drawers, cabinets, etc.

I don't have a big organizing plan, and don't consider myself to be an expert on the topic. I think the thing that helps me the most is that I find having a lot of "stuff" slightly overwhelming, so I've never collected a lot. For the most part, if I don't think I'll use it I don't buy it, and if I haven't used it after a period of time I get rid of it. (ok. my office may be exempt from this - yikes! :-) )

Midwest Living

Even if you don't have too much stuff, sometimes there's still just not enough room to keep it all easily organized and accessible. One thing that can help with that is multi-functional furniture and hidden storage.
myhomeideas.com Photo Grey Crawford

Storage ottomans/tables/trunks, baskets/bins, skirted tables, shelves/curtained bookshelves... Look at the pieces that you already have to see if they can be used in a different way (or in a different room) - maybe modified to provide storage in a way you hadn't thought of?  

BHG has some great suggestions in their Table It - Sneaky Storage Solutions slideshow...

Are there spots that you can slide a basket, a bin, a rolling drawer underneath (a coffee table, a skirted sofa or chair, a bed...).  We talked here about nesting tables - could you "nest" a storage ottoman or another storage piece underneath a side table for additional storage?
AJC Homefinder

Who doesn't love a good basket? I have two large baskets on the shelf of my coffee table that hold all my decorating magazines (in addition to my office, this is another thing I do collect). The baskets make great in-plain-sight storage but I also like the additional texture they, and the magazines, add to the room. Check out BHG's Storage Solutions Using Baskets slideshow for basket ideas. (anyone recognize the rug?)

I also love this idea from BHG.com for adding extra storage to an armoire with roller drawers.
BHG.com
In the category of thinking outside the box, this "bookshelf" was created with stools stacked on one another.  Directions here:
Hope you're having a great weekend!

Blog Archive

 

Most Reading